Welcome!

Hi guys and thank you for visiting my blog! This blog will be dedicated to some video game news/update, but mostly to my video game Fan Fiction and Fan Art. I do more writing than drawing so expect more of that. Don't forget to visit my Youtube gaming channel if you already haven't Gamermd83's Youtube Channel . Enjoy!

I REALLY hope none of my work goes against any copyright laws because that is not my intention. I don't claim to own anything, and I am not making any kind of profit out of any of this.

Friday, June 17, 2011

CONVICTION (written form)

Chapter One
Mass Effect FanFic
Written By: Gamermd83


This is my first Mass Effect fanfic that I wrote back in February of this year (2011). This was before the Arrival DLC came out so assume that the events of that DLC never happened in this fic. At least not yet; I might include it some how later on. It is based off of my first and main ME game character, Garik Shepard. He is an infiltrator and his prebuilt background is spacer/ruthless. As for Paragon or Renegade, he was a bit of both so he's what many call a Renegon. The events in this fic take place shortly after the end of ME2 so this is considered to be a hypothetical ME3. 

Disclaimer: Mass Effect is owned by Bioware and EA, I own nothing.
Rated: PG (for language)



“Name?”
“Garik Shepard.”
“Rank?”
“Commander. Spectre.”
“Tell me, Commander Shepard, is it true you worked for the terrorist group Cerberus?”
Shepard finally looked up at the Salarian interrogating him. “No.” He said with an annoyed tone. Ironically, he had become very popular since he and his team had destroyed the Collector ship along with their disturbing human-reaper creation. Everyone and their mother wanted a “word” with him. And the worst part was that it wasn’t to congratulate him. Since Saren, it seemed as if the more he saved the galaxy, the more people hated him. The Illusive Man wasn’t outwardly threatening him, but Shepard knew that by going against what the Illusive Man wanted…better said, what the Illusive Man REALLY wanted, was like kicking his kid in the nuts and then laughing at him. The Illusive Man wanted him dead. No doubt about it. He just wasn’t the type of guy to bitch about it. He waited until he knew exactly where you were and exactly how to make you cry like a little girl before he killed you. The Council wasn’t much different. In fact, they had made it quite obvious that they did not like Shepard from the start. As much as he couldn’t care less, it was harder for him to get things done with them breathing down his neck.
“Please remember that you are under oath Commander Shepard. Perhaps you didn’t understand the question?”
Shepard swore that if he were elsewhere, he would have slapped that sarcastic smirk off of the Salarians slimy face. “I understood your damn question. Maybe you misunderstood my answer.”
The Turian Council member glared at Shepard. “Commander, you are in no position for stark remarks. Did you or did you not work—”
 “I didn’t work for Cerberus, I worked with Cerberus.” Shepard snapped.
The Salarian chuckled mockingly. “Oh, my mistake. I apologize for the grave confusion.” He glanced over at the council with his sarcastic smirk, as if to continue to tease.
Shepard gritted his teeth. If only he had his gun.
“Whether you worked with or for Cerberus, why did you affiliate yourself with the galaxy’s most infamous terrorist group? Is your affiliation not with the Alliance? You did say you are a Commander and a Spectre, did you not?”
“Cerberus was the only group of people who were actually doing something about the Reaper threat. They have the resources and the technology that I needed in order to learn more about the Reapers and help the colonies that were being attacked by the Collectors.”
The Salarian stayed quiet for a moment. “That…is actually incorrect.”
Shepard’s muscles tensed up. Not from nervousness, but from anger. “What?”
“Cerberus was not the only group doing something about the colonies that were in danger. The Alliance was investigating the situation with special teams. They were covert missions.”
“They were investigations! Not missions. While the alliance was on Horizon, the Collectors STILL took out that colony, the alliance along with it. Someone needed to STOP this.”
“And that was Cerberus?”
“The alliance turned its back on me!” Shepard slammed his fist on the arm rest of his chair.
“You were dead.”
“I obviously wasn’t dead when I went looking for them. Cerberus brought me back from the dead, that’s how desperate this galaxy is with the threat it’s under and you all are still investigating the situation.”
“The threat of the Reapers?”
Shepard braced himself.
“Do you have proof of their involvement? Better yet, their existence?”
He knew this was coming. He hesitated. Why argue with them. They would never believe him anyways…they never had. This was pointless. But, he had to say something. “No…I don’t have proof."
“How convenient.” The Salarian looked over at the Council. 
"You would find your proof by testing what was left of Sovereign here on the Citadel but you all are too stubborn to admit that I might be right.” Shepard glared at them.
The Turian Council member snarled. "Please. We all know that Sovereign was Saren's ship. It would be pointless...a waste of time and money. It's ridiculous to even think that it could have been a sentient ship out to destroy the galaxy. Fairy tales." He waved his hand as if he was addressing a scared child.
The Asari Council member looked at the Turian, and then the Salarian. When they all nodded at some unspoken accord, she said, “Garik Shepard, due to your frequent actions of disloyalty towards the alliance and what it stands for…what you stood for…the alliance hereby strips you of Spectre status. The alliance will not tolerate a Spectre who abuses of the freedoms granted to this honor. We gave you a chance to explain yourself, but your reasoning shows no excuse for joining yourself with a terrorist group. The SAME terrorist group that murdered Admiral Kahoku in cold blood two years ago.”
Shepard looked away. A part of him truly felt guilty at that moment.
“As for your military rank, that will be decided by the military.” The Salarian looked over at Admiral Steven Hackett who was standing in the corner. He hadn’t said a word since the trial had started. He just nodded when the Salarian looked over at him. “We are done here. You may proceed, Admiral.”
Hackett straightened up and cleared his throat. “Commander Shepard and I will continue this in my office.”
“Very well.”


When Hackett and Shepard left the Council’s room, they walked in silence.
“You didn’t kill Admiral Kahoku, Shepard. They brought that up to make you feel deserving of the sentence.”
“I know. It worked.” He sighed. “They finally got what they wanted.”
Hackett glanced at Shepard as they walked into his office.
“They would have never made me a Spectre if it hadn’t been for Anderson.” He shook his head. “We fought so hard to prove to them that Saren had gone rogue…I guess all he had left to do was to join Cerberus.”
Hackett smirked a bit. He offered Shepard a seat.
“Why the hell wasn’t Anderson there?”
“He resigned.”
Shepard thought in silence for a moment. The news caught him by surprise but it didn’t surprise him. Captain Anderson was a soldier, a hero, and everyone in the political arena treated him like a patsy. He was over qualified and deserving of a better position. “Where is he?”
Hackett took in a deep breath and crossed his arms. “I’ll tell you after we settle this.” He pointed to the both of them.
Shepard sighed and leaned back in the chair.
“Don’t give me that look. You know I believe you. I’m not crazy about you working for…with, Cerberus. But…I understand your motives. Hell, if I was in your position I may have done the same.” He looked down at his desk for a moment. “And I agree. The Alliance should be doing more about this. I know the threat is there. But, it seems the military doesn’t have as much firepower as we think we do. We’re just politician’s puppets.” He shrugged.
“You don’t have to be.”
Hackett chuckled. “What do you suggest? We all start working for Cerberus?”
“No. Start working with me. The Council will soon enough realize the threat of the Reapers is real and by then they won’t give a damn who’s working for who.”
“It’s not that simple Commander.”
“That’s a good sign.”
“What?”
“You still called me Commander.”
Hackett shook his head and leaned back. “They’ll probably have my head for this but…you did what any loyal soldier would do…which is more than most. I can’t de-rank you for doing the unthinkable to save innocent lives.”
“Thank you.”
He shook his head. “Don’t thank me until you’re off the Citadel.”
Shepard nodded. “Anderson?”
Hackett breathed in. “He’s just like you.”
Shepard cocked an eyebrow.
“He went off to do research. He said he was going to find hardcore proof of the Reaper’s existence…and that he already had a promising subject.”
“A subject?”
Hackett shrugged. “That’s all he said. I suggest you go look for him.” He wrote something on a small piece of paper and handed it to Shepard.
Shepard looked at it. It had the location where Anderson was and the word COVERT on the top. Shepard understood. He looked at Hackett and nodded.
“I’m sure you two have a lot to talk about now that the Council isn’t breathing down his throat.”
Shepard stood up.
“One last thing.”
Shepard waited.
“Are you going back to Cerberus?”
“Let’s just say we didn’t part on very good terms so probably not. If I can exploit them though, I will.”
Hacket chuckled. “You should have said that in there.”
Shepard smirked and left with a salute.

When Garrus spotted Shepard heading their way, he turned to Tali and got her attention. “Looks like he’s still in one piece.” They had accompanied Shepard to the Presidium and had waited out by the fountains while Shepard was in his Hearing.
Tali smiled under her helmet.
“So? You still in charge or can I order you around now?” Garrus asked him when he reached them.
Shepard smirked. “Still Commander, no longer Spectre.”
Tali shook her head. “Thanks to Admiral Hackett, I’m sure.”
Shepard nodded. “It’s better than I thought it would be. As long as I could still command the Normandy—“
“We could keep shoving it to the Council.” Garrus finished with a nod.
Shepard nodded. “Exactly. Come on, let’s get out of here, this place gives me a headache.”

To be Continued...

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure how good a writer you were before I read this but after reading it I was pleasantly surprised. If you have any other pieces that you have written I would sure love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff, you sure do capture the essence of all the characters really well. Have you tried to work for Bioware? I think you'd be an awesome addition to that team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that is an awesome compliment :D I haven't tried to work for Bioware just cause they're in Canada -_- if they were any where closer to me then hells yeah, I'd be all up on that. If it is ever an option for me to move though, I would most definitely try to apply for Bioware as a writer. It's my dream job :)

    ReplyDelete